| || |
On successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- At the end of the module, participants should have an understanding of: 1. Overview of key trajectories of development in the continent of Africa
- 2. African common and differentiated state responses to development challenges and their outcomes.
- 3. Contemporary challenges: democratization, good governance, economic development, conflicts and terrorism, Climate change, Youth Population, and Urbanization.
- 4. Roles and successes of African multilateral organisations for political and economic development e.g. African Union, East African Community, Economic Community of West African States and Southern Africa Development Community. This will cover also the main regional powers and the roles they play in terms of investment, economic and political development.
- 5a. African states’ relations with the external world: Relations with the Old Powers (European states and the European Union, Japan & USA)
- 5b. African states’ relations with the external world: Relations with New Powers (India, Russia, China, Brazil)
- 5c. African states’ relations with the external world: Relations with the global institutions e.g United Nations, World Bank, IMF & African Development Bank.
- 6. Pan Africanism - past, present and future: 7. Africa and its states – Africa Rising, The 21st Century, the African century?