| || |
This module will have a strong emphasis on proteins, the regulation of their activity and their participation to cellular processes. There will also be a particular focus on essential metabolic pathways, which will be described in detail, but also presented within a physiological context. An effort will be made to present simple experimental evidence for essential concepts. Tutorials will focus on developing problem-solving and analytical skills.
The following topics will be covered:
- Introduction to biochemistry and a brief reminder of important notions related to proteins.
- Enzyme kinetics, including enzyme inhibition and applications for drug design.
- Basic concepts of metabolism and bioenergetics.
- Detailed description of essential metabolic pathways such as glycolysis, citric acid cycle, oxidative phosphorylation and photosynthesis.
- Methods in biochemistry, including protein purification, monitoring enzyme activity, pigment extraction and separation.