MH409 provides students with the widest choice of business and languages of any university degree in Ireland. You choose one business subject (Accounting*, Business Management, International Business or Marketing) and one language (Mandarin Chinese, French, German or Spanish). You do not need to have studied either business or your chosen language for the Leaving Certificate to take this degree.
In your third year, you will have an opportunity to undertake either study abroad or an international internship (subject to availability), which will allow you to apply what you have learned. People with both business and language capabilities are in short supply, yet most businesses work with international customers or suppliers, making you highly employable!
If you already know which business subject and language you want to take for your degree, then you can choose to focus on these from the beginning. If you are unsure and would like to try out a couple of options before you commit, then you can switch between your business and language subjects in the first four weeks of semester one. This enables you to find the subjects that best match your interests and aptitude.
There is a possible transfer option to this degree in second year for students who have completed the first year of the BA degree (MH101) taking business and the relevant language.
* Please note that Accounting can only be combined with German or Spanish. All other business subjects can be combined with any of the four languages.
Why choose this degree?
- Wide variety of options: Maynooth University offers more subject combinations than any other business degree in Ireland, enabling you to combine four different business subjects with four different world languages.
- Accredited year abroad: The opportunity to study or work abroad as an integral part of your degree which gives you a chance to put your learning into practice and significantly improves your employability upon graduation.
- Graduates with an in-depth knowledge of business and strong language skills are in high demand on the jobs market.
- Employees that have both a deep insight into how to create value for businesses (through Accounting, Marketing, Management or International Business skills) and can apply these skills across both English and a modern language are rare and valuable. Most businesses in Ireland and Europe trade internationally across languages and so these skills are highly sought-after.
- No compromise: You get to choose the language you love and your business career choices.