On successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- LO1: Compose brief essays on a variety of subjects; construct a variety of texts based on work done in class; summarise the meaning of texts; analyse short texts; write and deliver presentations.
- LO2: Construct sentences and passages based on linguistic expressions encountered in class; complete exercises using various aspects of language; employ vocabulary suited to a particular topic or area of language use; use relevant linguistic concepts.
- LO3: Identify linguistic elements of a given structure; apply grammatical rules to written and spoken expression; determine how linguistic rules aid communication; detect patterns in linguistic usage; recognize grammatical rules in use.
- LO4: Organise information in a coherent and meaningful manner; present information in a coherent and meaningful manner; apply relevant linguistic concepts to phrases, sentences and longer texts; demonstrate the linguistic meaning and usage of expressions; communicate at an intermediate level of linguistic complexity.
- LO5: Produce a variety of texts based on work covered in class; summarise the content of texts; analyse various aspects of texts; prepare a variety of compositions; deliver presentations on a particular topic; work in consultation with others; act as part of a team.
- LO6: Demonstrate intermediate linguistic competence; communicate ideas, opinions and feelings of medium complexity; transmit relevant information; appraise data and opinions; show intercultural awareness.
- LO7: Complete continuous assessment and class assignments correctly; answer exam questions with relevant and precise information based on course work completed throughout the semester.