The Professional Certificate in Teaching and Learning for Tutors and Demonstrators (CTL1) is offered to Maynooth University postgraduate students and graduates currently teaching within their departments. Postgraduate and graduate tutors, demonstrators or teaching assistants who are facilitating tutorials, seminars, lectures, laboratory demonstrations or practicals are most welcome to apply to take part in this programme.
This course has been developed to help tutors and demonstrators:
• Learn about various strategies, approaches and methods to support student learning across a range of contexts.
• Feel more confident about their teaching.
• Begin the process of professionalising their teaching practice through an introduction to pedagogy, reflection and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
• Enhance the quality of their teaching.
• Share experiences, ideas and advice on learning and teaching with other tutors and demonstrators from different departments across the university.
Some of the core topics explored in CTL1 are as follows:
• How students learn.
• Active learning.
• The reflective teacher.
• Beginning to teach small groups.
• Inclusive teaching and diversity.
• Assessment and feedback.
• Preparing to lecture.
CTL1 is reiterated twice each academic year, once in each semester (subject to confirmation). The next course is due to begin in semester one of the 2016/2017academic year.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CENTRE FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING HAS A SEPARATE APPLICATION PROCESS FOR THIS COURSE. FULL DETAILS ON HOW TO APPLY FOR CTL1, TOGETHER WITH A COPY OF THE APPLICATION FORM, CAN BE FOUND ON THE CENTRE FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING WEBSITE: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/centre-teaching-and-learning/staff-teaching-and-learning/professional-certificate-teaching-and-learning