| || |
The development of the critical skills will be based on exercises designed around weekly readings of appropriate journal articles or similar, these to be decided.
• Finding information (from printed materials and texts, academic databases, digital/electronic sources).
• Recording information through use of a range of media (e.g., visual, audio).
• Presenting and using different representations (e.g., text, diagrams, tables, charts, images, posters).
• Planning and writing academic essays.
• Academic writing skills, styles and conventions.
• Understanding plagiarism.
• Self-assessment and reflection.
• Critical thinking (forming an argument, examining evidence, judgement and reasoning, drawing conclusions).
• Creative thinking (solving problems, generating ideas, discussing solutions and possible outcomes, approaching tasks from different perspectives/ viewpoints).
• Organisation and time management (making plans, allocating tasks/ roles, designing schedules).
• Memory and approaches to learning.
• Working in groups.
• Preparing for assessments.
• Making oral presentations and public speaking.
• Awareness of supports and initiatives for students at Maynooth University.