| || |
Upon successful completion of this module, you should be able to:
• Outline, broadly, the major developments in jazz history as it occurred in the USA over the past century, but especially in the middle decades of the twentieth century.
• Identify the main North American jazz styles in that period, based on compositional, performance and improvisational practices.
• Apply aural and analytical skills to a variety of jazz recordings.
• Discuss how the status and development of jazz is related to social and cultural history in the USA over the twentieth century.
• Historical survey of twentieth-century USA jazz styles, with a major concentration on the middle decades of the century.
• Introduction to performing and improvisational practices.
• Case studies of key figures in jazz performance and composition.
• Critical evaluation of significant recordings.
• Social and political issues that shaped mid-C20th US jazz history.