On successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Define the 3 unities which are central to classical theatre.
- Describe the plot, structure and character development of the plays selected for study.
- Discuss the position of women in ancien régime society in France.
- Identify and examine the comic techniques employed by the playwrights selected for study.
- Compare and contrast the plays selected for study in terms of themes and humour.
- Demonstrate awareness of a range of critical interpretations of the plays selected for study and defend or challenge them.
- Offer your own personal insights into the plays selected for study.