| || |
On successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Describe the main components of food.
- Discuss food components with respect to composition, properties and impact on food processing.
- Compare and contrast the various methods used to improve food shelf-life, quality and stability.
- Evaluate the effect of microorganisms on food.
- Describe the main innovations in the modern food industry and their role in manufacturing.
- Discuss, in detail, the difference between food spoilage and food poisoning.
- Explain the role played by legislation in controlling the development and availability of novel foods.
- Critically assess the role of, and requirement for, hygiene during food manufacture.